AmeriCorps VISTA – Volunteer Recruitment
Legal Aid of Arkansas
AmeriCorps VISTA Member Position
Service Position Title: AmeriCorps VISTA – Volunteer Recruitment
Location: Legal Aid of Arkansas, Inc., 310 N Avalon St., #420, West Memphis, AR
The Volunteer Recruitment VISTA will work with statewide staff to strengthen and implement volunteer recruitment mechanisms to increase the number of pro bono attorneys and other volunteers supporting the organization’s efforts.
- Develop and execute a plan to increase the capacity of the Legal Aid of Arkansas volunteer program;
- Work with statewide partners to identify and implement best practices to increase the number of pro bono attorneys and to increase pro bono attorney participation;
- Implement volunteer recruitment mechanisms to increase the number of pro bono attorneys and other volunteers supporting the organization’s effort, with a focus on streamlining statewide pro bono processes;
- In coordination with Executive Director and pro bono coordinators, develop an orientation program for new volunteers that includes information about resources and responsibilities;
- Coordinate with statewide taskforces to provide training to pro bono attorneys on poverty and substantive legal issues;
- Develop and implement a system to collect and report outcomes achieved by pro bono attorneys statewide;
- Support statewide volunteer recruitment with ongoing communications, nominations, and reporting;
- Identify community partners willing to support and collaborate on volunteer recruitment program;
- Explore the use of technology, such as video conferencing, to connect staff and pro bono resources to individuals in remote, underserved, or hard-to-reach communities; and
- Travel to events to encourage participants to volunteer.
- Access to Vulnerable Populations: The Arkansas Service Commission has determined that the probability of access to vulnerable populations is so great that all members will undergo all required criminal background checks: NSOPR, FBI, and Arkansas State Police, as well as other states, as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required: Applicants must have exceptional communications skills, a reliable form of transportation, and a valid driver’s license.
Qualifications: Experience or interest in volunteer recruitment and/or nonprofit development is preferred.
Commitment Required: 12 months
AmeriCorps VISTA Program Benefits:
- Living allowance of $1023 per month
- Post-service cash award (approximately $1,500) or Segal AmeriCorps Educational Award ($5,775), dependent upon successful completion of service hours
- Health insurance provided
- Liability insurance and per diem/mileage per Legal Aid policy provided
- One year of federal non-competitive hiring eligibility, which provides advantages in the federal hiring process
- Build valuable leadership and project management skills
- Access to professional development training throughout the year
You are joining a movement and becoming part of history: VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) was envisioned by President Kennedy to be a domestic Peace Corps. President Johnson enacted VISTA as part of the War on Poverty. VISTA is over 50 years old and by joining, you are entering a community with over 220,000 passionate individuals who have gone on to careers in every sector of this economy. President Johnson’s words are as relevant today as they were when the first class of VISTAs were sworn into service: "Your pay will be low; the conditions of your labor often will be difficult. But you will have the satisfaction of leading a great national effort and you will have the ultimate reward which comes to those who serve their fellow man.”