Economic Justice Attorney - Northwest Arkansas
Legal Aid of Arkansas is a public interest, not-for-profit law firm dedicated to assuring equal access to justice in civil matters for low income Arkansans. Legal Aid’s advocates provide wraparound legal services in housing preservation, domestic violence prevention, economic justice, and consumer protection.
We are seeking an attorney to join our Economic Justice work group in our Springdale office, which focuses on public benefits (Medicaid, SSI/SSDI, SNAP, unemployment), employment issues (including discrimination, FMLA, and NLRA), and education (IDEA, 504, school discipline). The attorney will have the opportunity to handle a standard caseload and work on ongoing complex litigation.
Job duties will include:
- Representing clients in all levels of a case, including intake, negotiations, administrative hearings, trial, and appeal
- Advancing Legal Aid’s Economic Justice work to promote financial stability for our client communities
- Addressing systemic issues through impact litigation in state and federal court
- Furthering active community education efforts to maximize public knowledge of the relevant laws and Legal Aid’s services
- Arkansas State bar admission or ability to become licensed within one year. Minimum 3 years’ experience preferred.
- Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with relevant federal and state laws and regulations is a plus.
- Excellent legal writing skills.
- Trial court experience is a plus.
- Ability to maintain good relationships with clients, co-workers, and the community.
- Driver’s license and ability to travel throughout Arkansas to represent clients.
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale. Benefits package includes medical, dental, and life insurance; paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave; law school loan repayment; and retirement plan.
If interested, please send resume to Elizabeth King, Human Resources Director, at email@example.com. Salary DOE. Legal Aid of Arkansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.