Staff Attorney, Housing Workgroup – East Arkansas
Legal Aid of Arkansas is a public interest, not-for-profit law firm dedicated to assuring equal access to justice in civil matters for low income Arkansans. Legal Aid’s advocates provide wraparound legal services in housing preservation, domestic violence prevention, economic justice, and consumer protection.
We are seeking an attorney to join our housing work group, which focuses on the preservation of safe, fair, and affordable housing throughout Arkansas. The staff attorney’s primary duties will be to represent tenants in eviction and subsidy termination cases, address abusive practices through affirmative and defensive litigation, protect homeownership within the low-income community. The attorney will also work with Legal Aid’s Fair Housing Project to identify and remedy housing discrimination throughout Arkansas. The position will be held in the West Memphis or Helena-West Helena office.
Job duties will include:
- Representing clients in all levels of a case, including intake, negotiations, administrative hearings, trial, and appeal
- Addressing systemic issues through impact litigation in state and federal court
- Working with community partners to develop resources and strategies for protecting homeowners and tenants
- Assist Legal Aid’s other workgroups as needed
- Arkansas State bar admission or eligible for reciprocity
- Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with laws and regulations relevant to fair housing, homeowner and tenant rights, and public housing is a plus
- Excellent legal writing skills
- Trial court experience is a plus
- Ability to maintain good relationships with clients, co-workers, and the community
- Driver’s license and ability to travel throughout Arkansas to represent clients
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale. Benefits package includes medical, dental, and life insurance; paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave; law school loan repayment; and retirement plan.
If interested, please send resume to Lee Richardson, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Salary $42,000 to $75,000 DOE. Legal Aid of Arkansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.