Staff Attorney, Fair Housing Project – Central Arkansas
Legal Aid of Arkansas is a public interest, not-for-profit law firm dedicated to assuring equal access to justice in civil matters for low income Arkansans. Legal Aid’s advocates provide wraparound legal services in housing preservation, domestic violence prevention, economic justice, and consumer protection.
We are seeking an attorney to join our Fair Housing Project, which focuses on identifying, investigating, and eliminating housing discrimination throughout Arkansas. The staff attorney will work with the Fair Housing Project to conduct systemic investigations seeking to identify housing discrimination, assist clients in resolving claims, provide direct representation in state court, federal court, and before administrative agencies, and engage the community through education and outreach.
Job duties will include:
- Representing clients in all levels of a case, including intake, negotiations, administrative hearings, trial, and appeal
- Addressing systemic issues through impact litigation in state and federal court
- Participating in investigations of housing discrimination
- Working with community partners to develop resources and strategies for addressing housing discrimination
- Arkansas State bar admission or eligible for reciprocity
- Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with laws and regulations relevant to fair housing, homeowner and tenant rights, and public housing is a plus
- Excellent legal writing skills
- Trial court experience is a plus
- Ability to maintain good relationships with clients, co-workers, and the community
- Driver’s license and ability to travel throughout Arkansas to represent clients
Compensation and Benefits: Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale. Benefits package includes medical, dental, and life insurance; paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave; law school loan repayment; and retirement plan.
If interested, please send resume to Lee Richardson, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Salary $42,000 to $75,000 DOE. Legal Aid of Arkansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer.