Legal Aid of Arkansas operates under a strategic plan. The plan helps to make sure the organization achieves its vision and goals. Legal Aid’s vision is to provide equal access to justice for all people, regardless of their social or economic circumstances.
Read the complete Strategic Plan.
Every year, thousands of Arkansans find themselves in the justice gap: struggling through legal issues without the help of an attorney because private attorneys are not affordable, and free legal aid is unavailable because of the high demand and lack of resources available. There is a widening justice gap, but Legal Aid does not have the resources necessary to fill it. This lack of resources means Legal Aid must thoughtfully and diligent use the resources available to it.
There are six specific goals in the 2016-2020 Strategic Plan:
- Increase access to civil legal services and the justice system.
- Provide high-quality, impactful legal services.
- Strengthen engagement and collaboration with community stakeholders, partners, and client communities.
- Strengthen the recruitment, retention, and development of all staff.
- Provide for the organization’s long-term financial stability.
- Maintain a well-governed, well-administered organization.
By working toward and achieving these goals, Legal Aid will provide concrete help on the legal issues clients face while it also seeks to alter some of the fundamental underpinnings that support such conditions. These strategies will:
- Improve access to safe and affordable housing;
- Reduce barriers to employment;
- Enhance protection from domestic violence;
- Expand service delivery to marginalized communities;
- Protect consumer rights; and
- Improve access to public benefits, healthcare, and education.
The Legal Aid which emerges at the end of this strategic plan will be more effective in addressing client and community needs; more comprehensive in its advocacy role; and bend the arc of history toward a society with more equitable access to justice.